Configuration for the Network Printing
Dr. Junjun Mao
Research Associate, Levich Institute at City College of New York, Last update: 08/21/2006
This tutorial is an instruction of the printer
driver installation for the black/white printer and color printer at
Levish Institute. It is also intended for advanced printing functions
"Duplex printing", "Tray selection", and "Multipage printing" that some
users are asking for*.
Model name: Lexmark T634
Drivers: Mac OSX, Windows XP
Model name: HP Color LaserJet 3800
Drivers: Mac OSX, Windows XP
* Eventhough after the right printer driver is
installed, the control of duplex printing has to be turned on/off by
your applications such as MS word, web browser, and pdf viewer. Some
applications like MS Powerpoint 2000 has the integrated "Multipage
printing" called "Handout printing" that does not requir driver support.
For Mac OSX
To be done.
For Windows XP
Black and White printer
- Download the driver from here,
but DO NOT run it. Step 2 to 6 will prepare a local port for the
network printer. I found this is easier than running the Lexmark
installation program "custom install" option.
- Step 2 to 6 is to create a IP port for this
printer. Open Control Panel>Printers and Other Hardware>Add a
Printer and press next. This will bring up the printer wizard:
- Select "local printer" and uncheck "automatic detect" as above. Click nex to proceed.
- In this screen, select "Create a new port" and specify "Standard TCP/IP" port.
- Type in IP address of the Black and White printer,
and the Print Wizard will generate the protname for you shown as the
- After creating the port, the wizard will ask for for
diver and you choose cancel at this point. If the port alread exists,
which happens if you previously had an installation of driver on this
port, the wizard will stop you. Anyway, cancel the installation once
you have this port configured.
- Run the program you downloaded at step1 and choose "Local Printer Install".
- On the next screen, select port IP_18.104.22.168 and finish the rest steps of installation.
- To use duplex function, install this optional support from the Device tab of printer properties window.
- Click on the "Printing Preferences" in General tab
of the above window, you get the Prefernces window and you may turn
Duplex on and off under tab "Setup" and select "Multipage Printing".
Control of the source of paper tray under tab "Paper".
- Download the driver from here.
- Install the driver in the similar way as described by Black/White printer installation above except the IP is 22.214.171.124.
- The controls of Dunplex Printing and Multipage
Printing are under tab Finishing, and the control of paper source is
under tab Paper/Quaity.
The installation of Linux driver varies very much
due to the difference among versions and distrobutions of Linux. Under
Fedora core, run "yum update" to update your system and run
"system-config-printer" to add the printer. The installation of both
printers as LPD printers was succesfull with the driver "Lexmark T612"
for Lexmark T634 and "HP Color LaserJet3800" for HP color printer. You
may have to be root to do these.
The driver option panel allows you to choose
duplex printing and the source tray of paper. "Multi-page" printing is
not supported under Linux.
Still have problem?
To be done